- Rooftop PV plant to be one of the largest in Berlin
- Power generation equals ca. 800 single-family homes
- ca. 80% used for on-site power, 20% fed into local grid
Swiss rail manufacturer Stadler’s German subsidiary is building a rooftop photovoltaic installation on its Berlin production facility. Using just over 7.200 modules from LONGi Solar, the largest module manufacturer worldwide, the array will cover 14.000 square meters on Stadler Deutschland’s assembly plant. Electrical and building engineering firm Sandmeyer GmbH, which is installing the project, expects it to be completed by the end of 2023. Stadler Rail AG is a leading global producer of rail vehicles.
Stadler rooftop PV will cover majority of Berlin facility’s electricity needs
The modules will generate 3,000 MWh electricity per year, enough to supply ca. 800 average single-family homes with their annual electricity consumption, making the installation one of Berlin’s largest solar power plants. The Stadler Deutschland facility expects to consume 80% of the electricity itself, while feeding the remaining 20% into the local grid.
Christian Keasler, Sales Manager DACH at LONGi Solar said: “We are very proud to support a solar installation of such a significant size in Berlin jointly with the long-time photovoltaic specialists Sandmeyer GmbH and Limes GmbH. The solar expansion in Berlin still has a lot of untapped potential, especially when it comes to harnessing the vast roofs of industrial and production plants.”
Sandmeyer GmbH’s managing directors, Timm Sandmeyer and Malte Sandmeyer, added: “For large commercial or industrial projects like Stadler Deutschland’s Berlin rooftop, we believe it’s essential for the installation to deliver the most reliable possible power. This facility must be able to depend on its electricity generation, so we work with premium products from LONGi Solar.
Installation is LONGi’s latest addition to its Berlin/Brandenburg commitments
Since 2017, LONGi has been active in Berlin/Brandenburg with its market entry in Europe and has since accomplished numerous projects jointly with its electrical installation partners. It recently introduced its latest module technology, the Hi-MO 6 series, to the German market which is based on a new generation HPBC (Hybrid Passivated Back Contact) cell technology opening a new chapter in the mass production of high-efficiency cells.
Head of European Communications, LONGi Solar (DG)
LONGi Solar is an international solar technology leader ranking first in global module shipments since 2020. It is a subsidiary of LONGi Green Energy Technology (LONGi) which was founded in 2000. The company has broken the photovoltaic (PV) cell conversion efficiency record 14 times in a row since 2021. Under its mission of 'making the best of solar energy to build a green world' LONGi is committed to a full scenario energy transformation. The company has established five business sectors covering mono silicon, wafers cells and modules, commercial and industrial distributed solar solutions, green energy solutions and hydrogen equipment. www.longi.com
About Sandmeyer GmbH
Sandmeyer GmbH Elektro- & Gebäudetechnik, located in Cadenberge, Germany, was founded in 1983 and is a specialist company for electrical engineering. The company offers the full range of products and services related to electrical installation and renewable energy - from analysis, consulting, planning, installation to commissioning. Since 2008, Sandmeyer has installed above 1000 KW of storage capacity. The total area of installed PV systems is more than 777,700m². In 2022 the company was nominated for the "Großer Preis des Mittelstandes" of the Oskar Patzelt Foundation.
Stadler has been building trains for over 80 years. The provider of mobility solutions in rail vehicle construction, service and signaling technology has its headquarters in Bussnang, Switzerland. It has a workforce of around 13,500 based in various production and engineering locations as well as more than 70 service locations. The product range in the field of mainline railways and city transport includes high-speed trains, intercity trains, regional and suburban trains, metros, tramways and trams. Stadler also manufactures main-line locomotives, shunting locomotives and passenger carriages. It is the world’s leading manufacturer in the rack-and-pinion rail vehicle industry.